adds

Monday 28 November 2011

Trapped

As mentioned before in my previous blog post, recently I've been considering going back to Australia. Yesterday I found out that I'll be taxed 18% until May, and with few hours and such little income I'm really beginning to doubt why I should be here at all. A few of my fellow trainees have also begun making their way back home after only three months.

But when I sat down and worked it all out, I discovered that I can't actually afford to go back. For one I borrowed money from my branch to pay the deposit on my apartment, which has to be payed back, and I will also be charged 20,000 NT for breaking my contract. (But I can make a run for it.) There's also the cost of plane tickets, and the lost deposit on my apartment. To top it all off I don't have any job to go back to in Australia, so if I decided to leave I'll be digging myself into a financial hole.

So to sum it all up, I'm trapped in Taiwan.

If I have any hope of getting out I'll most probably have to stay and work for another few months. As much as I dislike it I haven't got much of a choice. During training I was told that feelings such as wanting to leave could be attributed to culture shock. I thought this was quit hilarious. Don't worry if you job is crap, the pay is little, you don't like the country and you want to go home, this is just culture shock.

I guess the best thing to do is try to make the most of this situation by working hard at my job, picking up more hours, and practising more Chinese. There really isn't anything else that I can do at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket