adds

Monday 7 November 2011

The Children have Infected me!

It's probably worth warning you that if you're going to teach Kindergarten, you will inevitably get sick a lot. Currently I'm down with some strange illness that makes all my muscles  hurt and sucks away the will to move. Although these are the usual symptoms of spending too much time with children, I also have a cough, so I'm assuming it's the flu.

There is only one thing to blame..The children

This week about half my class was sick. It's given me something to talk about in sharing time when I'll ask, Ok who is sick to today? To which half my class will begin to make exaggerated coughing noises. Their parents need to work, so even if the child is coughing with a fever, they'll just stick a mask on them and send them off to Kindergarten. This inevitable leads to the rest of them getting sick, and then me.

I taught the kids to say sanitiser. I thought it was too hard to understand, but I added a chant and now they know it. Now I just yell it from the hallway on the way back from the bathroom, and the kid up the front will spray the rest. I thought that would save me from their childhood illnesses but apparently not.

I often consider not going to work, but I have my classes well trained to be a bit more student centric so it makes my life easier, and I don't need to move around as much. I also only have a 10 minute commute, so I don't have to walk very far,

I don't want this to be a rant about how sick I feel, but it's my experience.I don't want you to to go into a kindergarten job without knowing the risk of catching some strange Asian illness. It's moments like this that I think. Damn I didn't even sign up for kindergarten, they switched my contract with someone else at the last moment without even telling me.
Of course kindergarten makes it easier to get teaching hours, but not if I have to take so many sick days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket