adds

Thursday 6 October 2011

Alien Resident Certificate, ARC

After working here for a month I finally received my arc today. It's great because I finally feel like I'm legal to work here, and that my job is somewhat legit. I haven't received my health card yet though, so if I get hit by a scooter I'm pretty much screwed.

An ARC is one of the essential items that you will need if you plan to stay in Taiwan for the long term. It can be quite useful if you ever plan to drive a car or scooter, or open an account with some banks. It's also a great form of ID, and has your address neatly printed at the bottom for those awkward What is my address again moments.
 Another great thing about your ARC is that its also a re-entry permit, so you can travel in and out of the country worry free.
Obvious this isn't mine because I'm not a man, I pulled it off Google.
Lets go through the ARC process for anyone who wants to work in Taiwan. The process is a bit different if you're a student.

Step 1: The Medical
You will be required to under go a health examination. They will take your blood. I remember when I went they had us line up in front of a desk, and we could see everyone being stabbed before us. There is also a chest x-ray where you have to hug a machine. They will require you to be immunised against measles and rubella etc. If you aren't they'll pick it up in your blood test and make you get it done. I think the health examination is just to make sure that you don't have AIDS or some health problem which is going to burden the health care system. You will be require to undertake one every year if you plan on working in Taiwan. You can also have it done back in your home country. But it may be cheaper here.
(A few weeks later)
 Step 2: The Work Permit.
Obviously a permit which states that you are legaly allowed to work in taiwan. 

 (Sometime later)
Step 3: Resident Visa
A stamp inside your passport that allows you to live in Taiwan.
 (A week or so later)
Yay! It's an ARC.
 (A few weeks later, where you still have to avoid falling seriously ill!!!)

They finally give you your health insurance card!

ARC for Students
If your a student it depends on your country. For Australia and the US you will first be required to get a visitor visor for sixty days which can be extended twice (such a pain because you have to go to immigration) But once you've been studying here for six months you can then apply for your ARC.  If you're a student hoping to work, the process is quite complicated and strict, so it's easier to come here for work, then pick up a few Chinese classes later on.


Immigration Taipei City
100 Taiwan Taipei City Jhongjheng District Guǎngzhōu Street 15號 +886 2 2388 9393

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket